Today’s Main Ingredient!!!
Deukryang Island’s Bountiful Octopus+ㅁ+
Whoaaa, it’s super big!
It’s great that an octopus was caught, but it makes things a big deal. Will slowpoke E-chef be able to complete dinner by dinner-time?
A quickly completed: Seafood Stew
- Razor Clams
- Red Chilli Pepper
- Course Salt
- Cooking Wine
- Corn Syrup
- Thick Soy Sauce (Jin-Ganjang)
- Spring Onion
- Powdered Ginger
- Green Chilli
- Plum Extract
- Clean the octopus of it’s innards.
2. Clean the dirt from the octopus’ suckers too.
3. Add flour and coarse salt.
5. Clean it well like laundry.
[※ If you rub too hard, the skin of the octopus can tear, so please be careful.]
6. In order to make the flesh tender, pound the octopus with a radish (like, the entire thing…)
[E-cipe: The diastase (a digestive enzyme) from the radish permeating the octopus makes it’s flesh smooth/soft.]
6. For the crab, until the gills, separate it and trim it please.
7. For the razor clams, remove the side without the flesh, only leaving the one with the flesh.
8. To boiling water, add salt and vinegar.
[E-cipe: Vinegar removes all the (fishy/extra/numerous) smells from the octopus.]
9. Add the octopus flesh.
Making of the Seafood Stew Marinade/Sauce:
10. To Gochujang and Red Chilli Pepper (Gochu-garu), add a big spoon of plum (maeshil) extract.
11. Cooking wine too, add two big spoonfuls.
[E-cipe: Cooking wine removes the fishy smell and and increases the insatiability of the dish.]
12. Season with thick soy sauce (Jin-Ganjang).
13. Add sweet corn syrup too.
14. Lastly, add a little of E-chef’s secret ginger powder and mix well.
Back to broth:
15. Remove the cooked octopus and, to the broth, add dashima and the roots of a spring onion. Bring to boil once more.
16. Cut the body of the fully cooked octopus into rings and the legs into fat pieces.
17. Transfer an appropriate amount of Octopus Broth to a wok.
18. Add the Seafood Stew Marinade/Sauce and mix well (until there are no lumps).
19. Cut the spring onions into large pieces and add them in.
20. Add the previously prepared Crabs and Razor Clams and mix well until the sauce permeates them.
21. When the soup boils, add minced garlic.
22. Add fragrant water parsley too.
23. Roughly cut spicy chilli peppers too and add them in.
24. Add starch solution (water and starch) and mix well so that it doesn’t form lumps to finish.
25. When the soup bubbles furiously, add crunchy and refreshing beansprouts too.
26. Lastly, add today’s main, the octopus, please.
Seafood Stew with freshly caught wild octopus from Deukryang Island is completed!!!
+ along with raw octopus dipped in sour chilli-and-vinegar-sauce!!!
By the way, E-chef’s worry…
Next time an octopus is caught, we have nothing (else) to make though?